Friday, February 4, 2011

Creativity is just the beginning. Bringing it to life is the key.

Nothing undermines a solid creative idea faster than poor execution.

By the same token, a brilliant execution can sometimes elevate a weak concept.

Before I really get started, let me get this out of the way… “When it comes to creativity in advertising, it isn’t creative unless it sells.” Yup, it’s trite and every writer hates to be reminded of this old adage but it’s absolutely true. In effective advertising, there is no substitute for uncovering and highlighting the emotional connection between the product and the target consumer.

My daughter recently introduced me to an ad that I loved on first viewing.  I liked it even more on second viewing and all because of the brilliant execution of the primary actor. As far as the emotional connection between product and consumer… I’m not sure I felt that.

On some levels the commercial works because it’s extremely watchable, memorable and absolutely bullet proof for any moms or dads that might see it.

It doesn’t work because… well, it doesn’t say anything about the car other than it’s a family car, I guess. I suppose you could make the argument that it continues to add to the legendary ‘personality’ of Volkswagen, but that argument is a bit obscure.

Bottom line: the star of this spot is the kid. I’ll tell you in advance that you never see the kid’s face but with his incredible body language, you totally ‘see’ his expression. But, as an advertising weapon, is it effective? I’d be curious to know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. Effective for recalling the cute commercial with the little kid who is Darth Vader.

    Ineffective for the brand of automaker. After watching twice, I can't recall who it is. Does a better job selling me on a car starter though.

    ReplyDelete