Friday, February 4, 2011

The answer may be no, but did you ask the question?

I've believed in aliens and UFOs all my life. At the very least, I've considered alien life on other planets to be a given. If you think I sound nerdy now, you should have been me in the 60's. It was an intolerent decade. Sigh.

But over the years, people have become more enlightened. Today, most folks would admit that they believe in the possible existence of life on other planets somewhere out there.

Recently the topic of UFOs came up during a gathering of friends on a Friday afternoon. One of our group, a teacher in her thirties, listened to the discussion for a while before giving her opinion.

"I'm not interested in science fiction."

When we reminded her we weren't talking about books or movies, but speculating on the theory of life on other planets, her attitude was even more surprising.

"I've never thought about it."

"What do you mean?" I asked. "Ever?"

"Never. Why are we wasting time with this?"

At that moment, I was struck by the thought that her classroom must be a very unfertile ground for new ideas.

I guess there is a possibility that we are the only life in the universe... I can't prove otherwise. But to not even consider the existence of other life? Hmm...

Perhaps one day, and I suspect it will happen in my lifetime, we won't need to speculate anymore. Until then, here's a video for you.  It suggests we should consider the existence of life on other planets as well as other far fetched ideas that may only need time to become mainstream.


http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/02/jerusalem-ufo-spottings-o_n_817689.html

Thanks to @iSpintheWeb for tweeting this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment