Thursday, November 10, 2011

IT'S ABOUT TIME

One of the best lessons I learned in advertising is: don’t sell the journey, sell the destination.
You could spend a million dollars advertising “Air Botswana” – the airline may have the most luxurious airplanes, the most efficient hosts and world class cuisine, but if people aren’t interested in going to Botswana, you’re wasting your time.
Montblanc sells elegant, efficient and well crafted time pieces. You know… watches. Remember them?  I don’t know about you, but most people I know have stopped wearing a watch because they get the time from their cell phone. So, if you’re Montblanc, your challenge is to help people appreciate ‘time’. The value of a minute. The fleeting wonder of a second.
I won’t lie to you. I’m not getting a gut-instinct one way or the other about this campaign. I have no idea if it will rekindle an interest in wearing a timepiece again. I think it does a great job getting people excited about their promotion, and I think it makes them about time. Buying a watch may be another thing. It’s an exciting gamble and I’ll be interested to see how it turns out.
All I know is, when I watched this ad… for just a moment… I missed my watch.

1 comment:

  1. Some time after I wrote this, Montblanc pulled their ad. For a taste of what I was writing about, go to YouTube and search Montblanc Beauty In A Minute.
    Thanks
    Daryl

    ReplyDelete