Saturday, March 18, 2023

Advice for living a happy life


In September of 1971, I was randomly assigned a  high school locker next to a kid who would become a constant force in my life for over fifty years. Unlike the rest of us teens wearing dark t-shirts and surly expressions, Larry was always dressed in something bright to match his ubiquitous, engaging smile. Through all the highs and lows that a person experiences in a lifetime, Larry was there. He was the best man at my wedding and I was the best man at two of his. His friendship was unconditional. I could call him at two in the morning to say, "I need your help getting rid of a body" and his only response would be "Whose car are we taking?" In case any law enforcement officials are reading this, I never actually made that request - it wasn't even my joke, but that level of loyalty described my buddy, Larry. 

One of us was always percolating some adventure, outrageous joke or plain old stupid idea and the other was always ready to go along. It was the kind of friendship that became a core of your own identity; I have a profession, I'm a husband, a father and Larry's friend. 

In February of 2022, Larry was diagnosed with brain cancer. While in treatment, Larry met Ben Stelter, who was in his own battle with brain cancer. "That kid is my hero," Larry told me after meeting him. Over the long summer, he underwent radiation and chemo, fighting valiantly. I'd visit him and we would have many toasts of 'Fuck cancer', but tragically, it was less than a year later when he passed - January 1st, 2023. Of course, in lieu of flowers, he asked friends and family to make a donation to the Ben Stelter Fund.

He didn't have a traditional funeral - I'm not sure I could have delivered a eulogy. If he had asked me to, I would have done it, but it would have been about six hours long and there would have been a lot of blubbering. Manly blubbering, but yeah, I would have been a mess. Instead, I have decided to share a few worthy life lessons that Larry lived by. 


We said goodbye to my best friend, Larry McGale last night with an Irish wake for a proud Irishman on St. Patricks Day. What could be more fitting? Larry loved and embraced life and I think we could all benefit from being more like Larry. To that end, I've created a Top 5 List:

Top Five Ways to be more like Larry McGale!

Number 5 - Every chance you get… talk to Strangers. And when you do, be sure to tell them the most intimate details of your life. Nothing is off the table. If they’re walking away, the polite thing to do is follow them until you finish the story.
Number 4 – At least once a year, drop your drawers and moon someone Preferably - in public especially when someone has their camera aimed at you. Pre-drinking is encouraged but not mandatory. Canada flag on a stick between your butt cheeks is optional.
Number 3 - When faced with any new task, challenge, opportunity or double-dog dare - say this out loud: What could possibly go wrong?
Of course things are going to go wrong. Shit happens. Do it anyway.
Number 2 – Never EVER tell a story the same way twice. Each time you retell it, add some new exciting detail. Do not let your story suffer by being limited to the laws of physics or hindered by reality. One time Larry told a story that I had heard several times because it was about me. This particular version of the story involved girls lining up to kiss us while we were in school. When he finished, I took him aside and said, "Larry, I have no recollection of girls lining up to kiss us in high school and I think that's something I might remember." He was scandalized that I had challenged him. "Well..." he stuttered, "...of course I know you've heard that story! That's why I had to make it bigger. I didn't want you to be bored!"

Number 1 Way to be like Larry McGale: Live Large, Embrace Life, and Tell People You Love Them!
At some point in our lives, Larry and I started to say, "Love ya, man!" when we were leaving an event. The key was to be the first one to speak because "Love ya, man" sounds way cooler than, "Yeah, I love you, too". You never want to fall into that dreaded 'second speaker' position, it's like being in a meeting at work and your wife calls and you have to whisper "I love you, too" in front of your coworkers when you hang up. Blech! Nobody needs that.
Larry may not be with us in body, but he will live in spirit and live in our hearts forever. His kindness, zest for life and his unquenchable humour touched everyone he met.
I'm also certain he was with us last night - after all, the whole evening was about him and he was always a total attention whore, and I mean that as a compliment. In fact, I sense that he's here with me now as I'm writing this. I'm sure I can hear his voice. What's that, Larry? Did you say something?
Oh...

Thanks.

I love you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment